Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Hiking, definitely not my sport.

A few weeks ago, I decided that since I'm in Peru, I have to go hiking. After googling "Hiking near Lima" and clicking on the first link, I sent out a mass message to the other students about a place called Palakala Falls. On Friday, September 6, a motley crew of 8 gathered at a combi stop. We had heard that from that combi stop we might be able to catch a bus to somewhere near Palakala Falls. It turned out that from that combi stop we could catch a bus that took us to another bus, that took us to another bus, that took us to another bus, that took us to Palakala Falls.

After 3-4 hours in transit, we made it. We stopped for a quick snack break at the store and then made our way to the mountain, ready for our one hour hike. I, of course, had over packed (a change of clothes, hiking sandals and boots, first aid kit, sunscreen, bug spray, anti-itch cream, 2.5L water bottle, etc.) and was ready for a rest at the first bend. We continued along this way for a while, stopping and taking leisurely water breaks where we took pictures and chatted, not feeling much pressure about extending our one hour hike. As we continued to hike we asked people how close we were and they said things like "Just one more hour!" or "Just around the next bend!" After hearing those things over and over again for three hours we started getting a little suspicious. A member of our group asked someone, and it turns out there's a 1 hour trail and a 3 hour trail. In our excitement to start our hike we had accidentally hiked up the wrong trail and our leisurely breaks and inexperienced hikers were definitely extending the 3 hour hike.

After about 3 hours of huffing and puffing our way up the mountain--I did most of the huffing and puffing--we ran into a group of our friends who had left earlier than us. "Just another hour and a half". Those are probably the worst words I have ever heard. At that moment, I considered refusing to move. The little diva inside of me was ready rear her ugly head as I looked up at the path that seemed endless. Luckily, I wasn't going to allow myself to be the only one who quit and powered on. With the support of my friends, who did things like holding my backpack when I looked like I was going to pass out, or teaching me how to pee without pulling my pants down, I was able to continue in high spirits. In fact, the trip was actually a great bonding experience. We told each other life stories which lead to other fun and interesting conversations. Eventually, we made it to almost the top and a group of us decided that the falls weren't quite worth it while others plowed forward. Of course, ten minutes after making that decision we changed our minds and kept moving forward. Unfortunately, we realized that it was 4 o'clock before we got to the top and that if we didn't haul-ass down that mountain we were going to be hiking in the dark.

The hike down the mountain began in a joyful, excited place, and quickly went down hill from there. Although the conversation and morale boosting continued, things tend to get a lot more treacherous when gravity is working against you. Also, there was a group of middle school-aged kids hiking at the same time who had no sense of caution and if one of them went down, everyone in front of them was going down with them. After a perilous 2 hours descending the mountain, all we wanted was to go home. It was getting dark quickly and we started panicking a little bit when the bus didn't come. We then moved to the other bus station where we waited for a bus and also tried to call/hail a cab. With no luck we sat and sat and sat, just waiting as it got dark and we continued to realize that we were in some tiny town outside of Lima. Honestly, I don't even remember what it was called.

Well, needless to say, we made it home that night. At 11:30 pm my friends and I wandered into a Chinese restaurant, covered in dirt and grease, and ordered whatever looked appealing. Honestly, it was the worst Chinese food I've ever consumed--yeah San Wah, I'm calling you out--but it was also one of the most satisfying meals I've ever consumed. Needless to say, I slept well that night. Hiking definitely is not my sport, but I absolutely want to do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment